Wednesday, June 18, 2008

bali birthday

we touched down denpasar airport at 11pm on monday night. it was the eve of my birthday.

"this is it!" i thought. i have been dreaming of going to bali since my cousin showed me her honeymoon photos 10 years ago. paying for my plane ticket was actually seeing my dream come true.

"6 more days darling... counting down to our holiday!" that's his text message a week before our trip. and everyday since then we did a countdown through text messages. we started organizing our trip two months before our target departure date, which is the eve of my birthday.

so where was i? oh yeah, at the airport. a nice man from the hotel named D picked us up. i was so giddy to see my name on the a small placard! A, my travel companion, talked to him in bahasa and after that D shooked my hand and greeted me a happy birthday. awww! my first birthday greeting! =)

we settled at this beautiful 10-room hotel in sanur: tropical bali hotel. and even in darkness i can say the place is beautifully done. lovely. perfect. the owners greeted me a happy birthday as well. yay! "im turning 26 any minute soon!" and the minute the clock struck 12, A prepared 2 glasses of chivas, handed me a lei to put on my head ("for photo purposes", he said), lit up his lighter ("sorry, no candles on a birthday cake") and sang happy birthday. he is the sweetest! =)

few minutes later, text messages started to flood my phone.

"happy birthday! where are you now????"

it was everyone's question. this year i decided to silently celebrate my birthday: no themed parties, no out of town trips and island hopping with girlfriends, no overdrinking and dancing with my former colleagues, no overeating with my boys, and no intimate dinner dates with a loved one. this year, it was just me and a good friend in a far away beautiful island and slowly dreaming of something bigger....


No comments: